Saving water on plant based lifestyle
Over 70% of our Earth’s surface is covered by water.
97.5% of all water on Earth is SALT water.
2.5% of FRESH water but only 1% of the world’s fresh water is accessible for direct human uses (the water found in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and those underground sources that are shallow enough to be tapped at an affordable cost. Only this amount is regularly renewed by rain and snowfall and is therefore available on a sustainable basis.)
The animal production take much more water than plant based production.
The average American shower uses 17.2 gallons (65.1 litres) and lasts for 8.2 minutes at average flow rate of 2.1 gallons per minute (gpm) (7.9Ipm) (home-water-works.org)
See these examples
Production of animal products:
• 1kg beef takes 15 000 litres of water equivalent to 230 showers.
• 1kg chicken takes 4 300 litres of water equivalent to 66 showers.
• 1kg pork takes 5 900 litres of water equivalent to 90 showers.
• 1kg eggs takes 3 200 litres of water equivalent to 49 showers.
Which is all together 435 showers (around 1 year 2 months 10 days/1x shower daily)
Production of plant based products:
• 1kg veggies takes 320 litres of water equivalent to 5 showers.
• 1kg fruit takes 960 litres of water equivalent to 14 showers.
• 1kg rice takes 2 500 litres of water equivalent to 38 showers.
• 1kg legumes takes 4 050 litres of water equivalent to 62 showers.
Which is all together 119 showers (around 4 months/1x shower daily)
Here you can clearly see how much water you can save just by not eating animal products.
Isn’t it incredible?
HOW EASY IT IS TO HELP OUR PLANET.
Please consider these numbers next time when you are buying meat.
Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you.
From my heart to yours